India is a diverse country, and the most populous democracy in the world. It is divided into five categories – Northern, Southern, Eastern, Western, and Central. Each category consists of hundreds of subcategories, resulting in a manifold of regions, culture, traditions, and food. From North India’s famous chole bhature, kulcha, butter chicken to South India’s comforting delicacies like dosa, uttapam, and more, you will get to witness dishes galore, each having a unique taste than the others. If you consider yourself a big-time foodie, then India is a hub for you. Adding to the never-ending list of Indian delicacies, here, we bring you a recipe that is sure to be a treat for you all.
Also Read: 11 Best Konkani Recipes
This recipe is called Pundi or Konkani-style rice balls. Made with urad dal and rava and steamed until perfection, this recipe is a combination of both health and taste. Generally, these rice dumplings are eaten as breakfast, but you can also pair it with evening tea or coffee. To prepare this, you need some easily accessible kitchen ingredients, such as, rava, urad dal, oil and more. Without much ado, let’s get started with the recipe.
Pundi Recipe: How To Make Konkani-Style Rice Balls
- To begin with the recipe, heat oil in a kadhai, add mustard seeds, urad dal, methi leaves, and a few curry leaves. Let them all splutter together.
- Now add a cup of rava and roast on medium flame. Roast for at least 3-4 minutes or until aromatic and a little brownish.
- Now add 1/2 cup of coconut chunks along with salt and mix it well.
- Once done, add 2-3 cups of boiling water, and keep the flame on medium. Keep stirring and make sure there are no lumps.
- After some time, grease your hands with oil, take a small portion from the mixture, and make tiny balls. Create a small hole in between the ball by using your thumb.
- Steam the pundis for 10-15 minutes and they are ready to be savoured!
Try this recipe and let us know how it turned out! Happy Cooking!